Botox For Men: Considering a Growing Trend

If you’re a man over the age of 30, you may be seeing more of your peers take advantage of Botox and other non-surgical cosmetic procedures to help alleviate wrinkles and look and feel younger. According to the most recent American Society of Plastic Surgeons report, Botox for men increased by 4% from 2014 to 2015, much higher than the corresponding increase for procedures for women, which was 1%. More surprisingly, Botox procedures among men have increased a whopping 355% from 2000 to 2015, with nearly 430,000 procedures performed in 2015.

For some perspective, that accounts for only 6% of all Botox procedures in 2015 (women account for the remaining 94%), so men still have quite a bit of catching up to do, and it’s not surprising that their numbers are increasing so much faster than those of women.

As humans age, our faces lose subcutaneous fat over time, leaving the facial muscles closer to the surface of our skin. The repeated creasing of the skin from various facial expressions (think: smile lines and crow’s feet) eventually leads to the appearance of wrinkles in certain areas of the face. At the same time, our skin also stretches a little, leading to the appearance of sagging which also makes wrinkles more prominent. Our facial skin is also affected by other factors such as gravity, sun exposure, lifestyle, and genetics.

In cosmetic applications, injection of Botox can be used to prevent development of wrinkles, by immobilizing the facial muscles. Following treatment, results are usually seen within 3–5 days, however it can take up to 2 weeks to see full results. A recent study in the Journal of the American Medical Association: Dermatology found that the risks of Botox are even lower than doctors had previously assumed.

Unlike more complicated surgical procedures, wrinkle reduction with Botox cosmetic injections can be done right in our St. Charles office. You can receive this simple and effective treatment in just one visit and should begin to see the results in a few days. Following a treatment session, you will be able to enjoy smooth, younger looking skin for up to four months. Botox cosmetic injection treatments may be ideal for patients who are not quite ready for face lift surgery or blepharoplasty, but who still desire a more youthful and refreshed appearance.

Do keep in mind that Botox and tissue fillers are subtle, non-invasive procedures and as such may not be able to reverse excessive wrinkles or sagging of the facial area. For patients who want to see more dramatic results, a face lift cosmetic procedure can make a world of difference.

For questions about which of these convenient and non-invasive treatments is right for you, contact St. Charles Plastic Surgery to set up a consultation today.