You’ve spent months and maybe even years thinking about it. You’ve talked it over with friends and family, and made sure you have it in your budget to afford the procedure. Now comes the crucial time to select a plastic surgeon to consult with and who will perform the procedure.
Perhaps you have friends or family who have undergone a procedure and had a positive experience with a doctor. Or, perhaps you’ve been following a particular plastic surgeon’s website and are a fan of his or her content and results. For those that don’t know where to start, here are 20 questions that help you make your decision:
- Is the doctor board certified in plastic surgery?
- Does the doctor have a clean record with the state’s medical board?
- How long has the doctor been in practice?
- Does the doctor have hospital privileges (needed for more involved cosmetic procedures), and how well reviewed is that hospital?
- Does the doctor have experience with the procedure you’re considering?
- How many times has the doctor performed the procedure you are considering?
- Does the doctor’s website have a Before & After gallery so you can see what typical results look like even before visiting the office?
- Does the doctor have generally positive reviews on review platforms like Yelp, and others?
- Does the doctor know about the latest trends in the field, particularly pertaining to your procedure (board certification is one sign that the doctor completes ongoing education courses)?
- Do the doctor’s results, as seen in Before & After photos appeal to you personally?
- In your consultation, does the doctor come off as knowledgeable and trustworthy?
- Does the doctor have a positive manner with his or her patients and put you at ease?
- Is the rest of the staff at the office helpful and courteous?
- Did the doctor properly brief you on the risks of the procedure?
- Did the doctor carefully cover the recovery period and what you can expect after the procedure?
- Did the doctor display prudence when advising you on what results are attainable through your procedure?
- Does the doctor’s office get in touch with you after the initial consultation to check if you have any follow-up questions?
- Does the doctor promptly reply to follow-up questions and requests for an appointment?
- Does the doctor’s office clearly outline the costs associated with the procedure?
- Does the consultation with the doctor inspire you with confidence?
We hope these questions will help you make your decision when selecting a plastic surgeon for your first cosmetic procedure. At St. Charles Plastic Surgery, we go out of our way to ensure that every patient gets the absolute highest level of attention and care. Contact us today to schedule a consultation!